According to the Institutional deed (The resolution of Presidium of the Slovak Academy of Sciences) the Institute of Geotechnics of Slovak Academy of Sciences is a scientific organization with a contributory economy form.
The date of foundation: November 22, 1954.
Subjects of activity:
- basic research of processes in the field of rock cutting, rock mechanics and underground constructions, the transport of energy and mass in the rock disintegration processes; basic research of solid dispersions origin patterns and their properties modifications by physical, mechanical, chemical and biotechnological processes; qualitative and quantitative evaluation of phase interactions at the disperse systems origin and at their spreading in working and living environment,
- application of theoretical knowledge from presented areas for detailing the top technologies principles in the following fields: rock cutting, mineral processing, monitoring of selected components of working and living environment, monitoring of environmental, chemical and geological changes in the waste repositories with the aim of ecological remediation,
- advisory and expertise services related to main activities,
- scientific education in terms of generally valid legislation,
- publication of the scientific-research activities using the periodic and non-periodic press. The publishing of periodic and non-periodic press follows the regulations of the SAS Presidium.
The institute has a dominant position in Slovak Republic within the basic and applied research in the area of rock cutitng, mineral processing, mechanochemistry, mineral biotechnologies and environmental protection.